Sunday, March 4, 2012

Catchy Tunes with Poorly Enunciated Lyrics

So the other day as I was driving home from work, I heard this song on the radio.  I'd heard it before and I liked it in the sense that it is the type of song one can get in one's head for a few days. 

But when I tried to listen to the lyrics, I found them darn near incomprehensible.  I listened very closely.  I made out, "better run, better run, faster than my [????]"  I thought the word that belonged in the brackets was "Brother," turns out, it is "Bullet."  (Had to Google it, of course--fortunately, my cell phone was able to tell me the name of the band and song).  Yes, it is that hard to understand.  In fact, the lyrics are kinda messed up.  I guess it is about a kid who finds his dad's revolver (I guess they still make those), and seemingly wants to go on a killing spree.  *sigh* 

But the tune is so upbeat.  :-(  

Anyway, here it is if you're interested:


So, do you guys have any songs you like that are similarly difficult to understand?  I know this sort of mumbling was practically the trademark of "Dead Can Dance." (Or am I thinking of a different group?)
BTW:  I have no idea what the Hell a "pumped up kick" is, but, apparently, all the other kids have them.  *confused*  

5 comments:

  1. Err...I think I meant to say, "Rusted Root," not "Dead Can Dance." I'll have to listen to some Dead Can Dance sometime soon and see if the statement is equally applicable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I came across your blog searching for other Lexingtonians.

    I hate this song, even though it is so catchy. Unless I change the station right away, I end up singing along.

    It is about a kid who goes on a Columbine type shooting spree, going after the cool kids with the fancy shoes (remember those Reebok Pumps way back in the day?).

    W. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Wendy! I *do* remember those. I'm not ashamed to say I once went to a "Slaughter" concert (in Louisville) back in the day and Mark Slaughter was wearing a pair (or so it seemed). So it looks like "kicks" means "shoes" and "pumped up" is a reference to the old Reebok shoes. That does help! I can't keep up with slang these days. (I only recently learned that "togs" means "clothing.")

    I'm with you about not liking this song. But, like you say, it really *does* have a way of getting in one's head!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Kelvar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worst mumble offender of all time: Zach Condon of the band Beirut. The words are so slurred I'm still not exactly sure if they're supposed to be in English. Terrific music, though, and Darren I think you'd love the group if you don't already. Check out songs from the album "Gulag Orkestar" on YouTube or Spotify. You won't be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't there a band named Beirut that was a one-hit wonder in the 80's? Hmm...I need to investigate this. I'll check them out, Sylvia. Thanks for the 411!

    ReplyDelete